Palo Verde College, founded in 1947, is on the banks of the Colorado River in the Palo Verde Valley, 165 miles west of Phoenix, 110 miles east of Palm Springs, and 100 miles north of Yuma. The college opened its doors to just 17 students, and by 1950 enrollment had reached 250. In 1958, the college moved to accommodate the increase in student population.
Students of all ages and backgrounds attend from early morning to late evening and weekends to take advantage of a wide variety of courses.
By 1973, the instructional program expanded to include vocational/technical, developmental, and continuing education courses. In 2001 the college began classes on its 200-acre campus.