Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) was established 1947 on the campus of Monterey High School in Monterey. The college serves the communities of Big Sur, Carmel, Carmel Valley, Del Rey Oaks, Marina, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, Presidio of Monterey Annex, Sand City and Seaside.
The campus was originally designed for approximately 1,000 students, but by 1957 the enrollment had approached this figure and it was evident that new buildings were necessary. The engineering building was constructed in 1958, the library in 1960, and the art and music center and swimming pool in 1962. The student population as well as the need for additional classrooms continued to grow. In 1965, the building program was renewed, and the "temporary"buildings of 1948 were replaced with new buildings for business, humanities, life sciences, physical education, physical sciences and social sciences.
In 1982-83, Monterey Peninsula College was selected as the site for the Maurine Church Coburn School of Nursing, established with a grant from the Maurine Church Coburn Charitable Trust. The school is operated, in part, with support from the Community Hospital Foundation. In 1988, the engineering building was remodeled with funds from the Community Hospital Foundation to house the School of Nursing.
Monterey Peninsula College has enjoyed tremendous support from its residents. In 2002, local voters approved a $145 million bond for facilities, infrastructure and equipment at Monterey Peninsula College.