Diablo Valley College (DVC) began offering courses in 1949 in some of the most unlikely sites: high schools, banks, churches and even an old army camp. The college moved to its present site in 1952, and began holding classes in 10 steel buildings. Today, the college’s student body reflects the growing multiculturalism and diversity found in California. The college employs more than 1,100 faculty and staff, and serves nearly 22,000 students each semester at its 100-acre campus.
DVC’s main campus is off Interstate 680 in Pleasant Hill near Mt. Diablo, a Northern California landmark. It is the college of choice for many students from the private and public high schools in nearby Martinez, Mt. Diablo, San Ramon and Acalanes school districts.
Originally home to the Costanoan Indians, the land was granted to William Welch in 1844 by the Mexican government. The parcel became part of his huge Rancho Las Juntas, which then included northwestern Walnut Creek, all of Pleasant Hill and the northeastern half of Martinez. After World War II, the land was subdivided into housing tracts, one of which was purchased for the new college.