Contra Costa College (CCC), established in 1948, is part of the (San Pablo) Contra Costa Community College District. There are three colleges in the district: Contra Costa College (San Pablo), Los Medanos College (Pittsburg) and Diablo Valley College (Pleasant Hill).
CCC was the first of the three colleges in the district. Originally named Contra Costa Junior College, West Campus, it began in 1949 at the old Kaiser Shipyards in Point Richmond. The first classes started Feb. 14, 1950, with a beginning enrollment of 500 students. In 1956, the college moved to its present site, an 83-acre site overlooking San Pablo Bay.
The college has several notable programs including, the Center for Science Excellence, that works to increase minority participation in the sciences; High-Performance Computing Center, a pioneering program that teaches the emerging science of computer clustering; and the CCC Speech and Debate Team, which is one of the top community college teams in the nation.